Call for Consultation 213.444.3155
Establishing Paternity: REAL Lawyers Representing YOUR Needs

Establishing Paternity in Los Angeles

LA Paternity Lawyers

For the family court to issue orders on child custody, visitation, or child support, paternity must be established. Paternity can become a contentious dispute if a mother is seeking financial support or if a father is being denied access to a child he believes to be his own.

For situations like these, The Law Help Center can step in and provide guidance and assistance. Our Los Angeles paternity lawyers offer compassionate and comprehensive representation to both mothers and fathers in paternity matters.

Reach out to us at (213) 444-3155 or contact us online today.

How to Establish Paternity

There are a couple ways that unmarried parents can establish paternity.

The first option is for both parents to sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity. This declaration can be signed at the hospital immediately following the birth of the child. If the parents sign at the hospital, the father’s name will go on the birth certificate and the mother does not need to go to court to determine who is the father of the child.

The parents can also sign the declaration after they leave the hospital, but it must be signed at one of the following locations:

  • Local child support agency
  • Registrar of births
  • Family law facilitator at your local court
  • Welfare office

Once the declaration is signed, it must be filed with the California Department of Child Support Service Paternity Opportunity Program (“POP”) in order to be effective.

Obtaining Child-Related Court Orders

While the signed declaration will have the same effect as a paternity judgment in establishing who the father of the minor child is, in order to obtain orders on child custody, visitation, and child support, a court action must be filed.

Once a father has established parentage, he is then given all the rights and responsibilities of a parent. Either parent may then file for custody, visitation, or child support orders. However, once paternity is established, the father is also legally obligated to financially support the minor child until he or she turns 18 years old.

If you have questions about establishing paternity in California or you want to open a paternity case, contact the Los Angeles family law attorneys at The Law Help Center today. Call (213) 444-3155.

  • IALA
  • Santa Monica Bar
  • SCV Bar
  • ABA
  • CA Bar

  • Making the Law Work
    For YOU

  • Contact us TODAY for your initial case evaluation.

  • Thousands of Hours of Courtroom Experience

  • We Give Your Case the RESPECT It Deserves